Public dialogue needed for inconsistent TAED plans

Tuesday, 3 June 2014

The public should have ample understanding of plans before they are submitted to the Cabinet says SEPA president.

KOTA KINABALU: Inconsistencies between the Kota Kinabalu City Hall (DBKK) and Tanjung Aru Eco Development’s (TAED) plans for Tanjung Aru Beach has led to the Sabah Environmental Protection Association (SEPA) calling for a public dialogue.

“We are not against development nor job creation for Sabahans but decisions must be made hand-in-hand with the people.

“The public loves this beach, which is also meant for the people. We call upon Chief Minister Musa Aman to keep his promise made on the last Malaysia Day celebrations and hold a dialogue with the public,” said SEPA President Lanash Thanda.

Musa, who is head of TAED and DBKK, had promised that the public would be able to view the development and raise questions in an area set up specifically to provide answers to Sabahans.

Lanesh added that the need for a public dialogue is needed due to the major disconnect between the plan presented by DBKK and what was announced by TAED over the month.

“The Draft Kota Kinabalu Local Plan 2020 shows that public areas designated as Sports & Recreation (SR) are drowned out by Hotel & Resorts (HR). The Prince Philip Park remains the same size and everywhere else except for the small strip on the first beach is HR.

“But we have large areas into the sea which are also designated as HR, so they are some things from TAED and not others.”

The public and other Non-Governmental Groups (NGO) has been requesting for this dialogue since last year but the government has been busy finalising plans instead.

“Before the plans are submitted to Cabinet for approval, the public should have prior knowledge of the development plans, are informed with the details and finally consent to the type of development that would affect us. Only then should the plans be sent to Cabinet for approval,”

“Listen to us, incorporate our ideas and visions and you will be rewarded with happy citizens, after all, the chief minister has said time and time again that this is a project for the people, so let the people be a part of it,” said Lanash.

Likas assemblyman Junz Wong had also called out for the state to communicate with the public before attempting to seek the consent of the Cabinet on the plans as there are inconsistencies which would confuse the public.

Public consultation had been suddenly cut short from June 6 to June 2 with Musa announcing as well that the masterplan for TAED will be tabled to the Cabinet.

The masterplan mentioned has yet to be displayed to the public, who now only have the verbal promise of Musa regarding the promise that Tanjung Aru will be ‘restored to its former glory.’


Post a Comment

Important - The views expressed and the links provided on our comment pages are the personal views of individual contributors and do not necessarily reflect the views of Sabah Report.