Defence and Home Ministers must resign for failure to secure Sabah

Monday, 18 November 2013

if there had been a bigger scale intrusion, what would have happened?
KOTA KINABALU - The Defence and Home Affairs ministers must resign to take responsibility for the government's dismal failure to secure Sabah, said ex-Chief Minister, Datuk Yong Teck Lee, in a terse comment made today in the aftermath of yet another murder cum kidnapping incident by sea borne gun men at Semporna today.

"This is no ordinary murder cum kidnap. This nothing less than another glaring armed intrusion committed within the much trumpeted ESSZONE under the Eastern Command which supposedly has seven battalions of security forces in its command. It is as though Malaysia has learned nothing from the many kidnappings, murders and piracies in the last few decades. It is as though the men in our security forces have died in vain in fighting the Lahad Datu Kg. Tanduo intrusion earlier this year," said Yong.

"No minister or official has ever been made responsible for those unceasing transnational crimes. As a result, high officials especially those at Putrajaya, carry on like nothing has happened. The ministerial responsibility can only be discharged by the immediate resignation of the Home and Defence ministers, who not surprisingly, were the same two ministers who had swapped portfolios after the last general elections.

The current Home minister, Datuk Zahid Hamidi (who was then the Defence Minister), had on the eve of the last general elections, accused but did not name, three opposition leaders for being behind the Tanduo intrusion. "This kind of playing politics with security is most sickening," said Yong.

"The latest crime reportedly occurred within only 1 kilometer from a PGA (Police General Operations Force) base, and even the intruding boats were within hearing distance from the resort. One wonders, if there had been a bigger scale intrusion, what would have happened?" asked Yong.

"The economic damage and public confidence arising from this latest international embarrassment is enormous. The authorities must investigate the possibility whether this incident is part of a longer term economic and security sabotage against Malaysia, especially Sabah by terrorist elements," said Yong.



Post a Comment

Important - The views expressed and the links provided on our comment pages are the personal views of individual contributors and do not necessarily reflect the views of Sabah Report.